Some symptoms make it abundantly clear that you need transmission repair, such as not being able to put your vehicle into drive or reverse. Others can be a bit less noticeable at first or might not be instantly discernable as pointing to transmission repair. It always pays to be attentive to your vehicle so that you can detect problems early before the problem escalates and the solution becomes more involved and costly. Here are both the subtle and more serious signs that you are in need of or headed for transmission repair:
- Burning Smell. A transmission that is overheating will give off an unpleasant odor. Other things could also cause this type of smell and should always be handled by going to a garage that handles transmission repair along with other automotive repair.
- Odd Noises When in Neutral. This one can be overlooked since people rarely put their vehicle in neutral. It isn’t a bad idea to do that every so often if you have an older car as this is almost always a sign that transmission repair is needed. Of course, humming, whining, or other noises at any time should be checked out.
- Leaking Fluid. Pay attention to what shows up under your vehicle when it is parked. Anything but water condensation from the air conditioner is cause for concern.
- Shaking. If your vehicle shakes as it goes from gear to gear, it is a good sign you need transmission repair.
- Slipping Gears. This is one to not mess around with as it can be very dangerous to drive a vehicle that is exhibiting this symptom. In fact, it is better that you have it towed to the garage for transmission repair.
- Won’t Switch Gears or Struggles. This is not always a sign that transmission repair is needed, but it is important to have it checked out. It could be just low transmission fluid or the wrong type was used.
- Warning Light. Today’s vehicles are quite good at sending out a signal to illuminate a warning light if there is a problem. However, if you have other symptoms and no warning light, you should still get it checked.
At Two Fingers Automotive, our diagnostic abilities are very reliable for determining if it is a small issue or if you need transmission repair. We recommend giving us a call to describe what is going on so that we can advise you about whether you should consider having your vehicle towed rather than driving it. Feel free to call us with any questions you might have. With more than 25 years of experience, we’re confident that your vehicle is in great hands when you bring it to us.